Do you want to know how to install Ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu) on WSL in Windows 11 or Windows 10. Kinetic Kudu is Codename of new Ubuntu release. We will show you in this step by step tutorial.
WSL is very famous among Developers and DevOps since it launched. Now even people who are learning Linux also liking Windows Subsystem for Linux. WSL is light wight Virtual Machine or Distro, which is very easy to launch or configure and install in your laptop.
Windows Subsystem for Linux is only supporting up to Ubuntu 20.04. You can verify by running following command in PowerShell and confirm its output.
PS C:\Users\sonook> wsl -l -o
Above command is used to check the available distro that we can install in a Windows 10/11 machine. The following is a list of valid distributions that can be installed. Install using ‘wsl –install -d ‘.
NAME FRIENDLY NAME Ubuntu Ubuntu Debian Debian GNU/Linux kali-linux Kali Linux Rolling openSUSE-42 openSUSE Leap 42 SLES-12 SUSE Linux Enterprise Server v12 Ubuntu-16.04 Ubuntu 16.04 LTS Ubuntu-18.04 Ubuntu 18.04 LTS Ubuntu-20.04 Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
How to install Ubuntu 22.10 if it not available in Distro list?
Yes you are right if it is not available in the above list how we can install Ubuntu 22.10 with command “wsl –install -d Ubuntu-22.10”. Don’t worry just follow our article and you are able to install Ubuntu 22.10 in Windows 11 with your WSL.
Prerequisites for installing Ubuntu 22.10 (Kinetic Kudu) with WSL
First, we need to install Ubuntu 22.04 on WSL windows 11. Follow below steps to install Ubuntu 22.04 on WSL in Windows 11.
- Open Microsoft Store
- Search WSL in search bar
- You will get option for Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS, Click Install
- Now as we installed Ubuntu 22.04.1 LTS on WSL in Windows 11, ready for Kinetic Kudu
If you want to download ISO and install Ubuntu 22.10 on your desktop without WSL. Use below link to download.
Step by step instruction for WSL Ubuntu 22.10 Installation
As we have followed above prerequisites and install WSL Ubuntu 22.04, now its time follow below instruction to setup WSL Ubuntu 22.10:-
- Open Microsoft Store again and now open Ubuntu 22.04
- Now it will open Ubuntu 22.04 in new black screen or PowerShell screen and verify Ubuntu version
- Now run following command to upgrade Ubuntu 22.04 to Ubuntu 22.10 in WSL
sudo apt update
sudo apt upgrade
- sudo do-release-upgrade “May give below error message”
Checking for a new Ubuntu release
In /etc/update-manager/release-upgrade Prompt
is set to never so upgrading is not possible
- Now open “/etc/update-manager/release-upgrade” in text editor
like sudo nano /etc/update-manager/release-upgrade
and in the bottom set “Prompt=normal”
- Re run sudo do-release-upgrade and this time it will upgrade successful to Ubuntu 22.10
After upgrade process complete, fire restart command to restart.
- After restarting now list the Distros “wsl -l -v”. You might not see the Ubuntu 22.10 in the list but when you start your distro “wsl -d Ubuntu-22.04” you will find out this is upgraded to Ubuntu 22.10
Now process of Installing Ubuntu 22.10 on WSL in Windows 11 has been complete, please leave your comments for support and any troubleshooting.